What is source code management, and what is the challenge?
This public group is aiming to synchronize people interested into the management of yacs reference code.
At the moment yacs is distributed mainly through archive downloads, and contributions are made by uploading files to web pages at www.yacs.fr.
These mechanisms have proven quite efficient to spread the software to end users.
However, downloads and uploads are painful to most software developers, and we have to facilitate collaboration across contributors.
Some challenges that this group is aiming to address:
- provide early access to on-going changes (to not wait until final release),
- facilite the integration of small patches or changes (from almost any community member)
- enable parallel developments and forks (this is open source, and anybody should be able to get the full software)
- allow easy merge and integration of developments from various developers
- scale to a large number of contributors if required
- guarantee the availability of the code over time (independance is an important criteria)
- adopt modern and efficient best practices on code management
- train and coach developers coming to the yacs project on code management
Any community member may participate to this group, either through the discussion board, or by contributing to the wiki pages, etc.